Managed IT Support Services

Vulnerable Consumers Register

what you need to know

What is the 111 Contact Code?

In November 2020, the Commerce Commission finalised the 111 Contact Code, which ensures that vulnerable customers (or persons on their behalf) have reasonable access to an appropriate means of contacting the 111 emergency service in the event of a power failure.

This Code assists those who can't call 111 during a power outage because their home phone, which relies on Fibre or Fixed Wireless internet connection, won't work without electricity. These technologies require a home power supply to operate, and without an alternative power source, they'll fail in a power cut.

If you or a household member depends on your landline service due to medical, safety, or disability reasons, you may qualify to register as a vulnerable customer.

Being a "vulnerable" customer, as defined by the Telecommunications Act 2001 and the "111 Contact Code", could make you eligible for an alternative way to contact 111 during a power outage at no additional cost.

You can access the Commerce Commission 111 Contact Code by following this link Click Here.

What Services are affected?

Our HQ Broadband and HQ Voip services requires power to operate. This may mean you may not be able to call 111 in an emergency using your HQ Voip phone if there is a power outage.

Tips for being prepared

  • We suggest keeping a charged mobile phone handy ready to use as a back-up in case of an emergency.
  • Keep your mobile phone charged – or purchase a portable power bank from an electronics retail store and keep it (charged) in an easy to find place.
  • If your landline service is delivered over traditional copper lines keep a corded phone handy as a backup, that you can plug into a phone jack if needed.

Who can apply to become a Vulnerable Consumer?

Under the 111 Contact Code a vulnerable consumer is somebody who:

  • Relies on a home phone through a fibre, wireless network or VoIP to call 111; and
  • Doesn’t have an alternative way to contact 111, such as a mobile phone; and
  • Can demonstrate they are at particular risk of requiring 111 emergency services for health, safety or disability reasons


Customers with a known high risk medical condition


Customers linked to a person with an applicant-favoring protection order.


Customers with sensory, intellectual or physical impairment

A consumer will have a way of contacting the 111 emergency service if:

  • the premises where they live is receiving a copper landline service (because this service will continue to work in a power cut);
  • the consumer has unrestricted access to a mobile phone and the premises where they live has adequate mobile phone network coverage; or
  • the consumer has an uninterruptable power supply to maintain a means of contacting the 111 emergency service in the event of a power failure (eg a battery backup).

You will need to provide us with evidence to show that you or someone in your household are at particular risk of requiring the 111-emergency service due to health, safety, or disability reasons.

Are you a Vulnerable Consumer?

If you meet the above requirements, please fill out the form below. It can take up to 10 business days to process an application once we receive it. We’ll be in contact with you to let you know the outcome.

Download Form